I have just published my second book, a graphic memoir titled “The Highs and Lows of Shapeshift Ma and Big-Little Frank,” through by Gold Wake Press, and the book will be hot off the presses in late September/ early October. I’m planning a book tour from Colorado all the way back East to Vermont.
Here’s the book, with the tools of my trade: yes, flowers are tools too! I created of the artwork in the book with pen and ink, and I designed the cover with the help of Liza Cannon and Nick Courtright.
As a teaser, here is a brief description, and an illustration from the book:
Frances Cannon’s illustrations and prose dance in tandem in this dark fairytale of mental illness, adventure, and resilience. This graphic memoir traces the bumpy road-trip of an unusual mother and daughter duo. Shapeshift Ma displays the erratic behaviors of manic depression. She soars insatiable appetite for love, accomplishment, entertainment, and sex; and in times of emotional despair, she transforms into a wild mare. Her daughter, Big-Little Frank, steels herself against hardship by developing an alter ego—an old, wise grandmotherly self—but when she reaches adulthood, her more vulnerable animal core reveals itself as a bunny-child in need of comfort. Together, they travel around the country in an old junker car, fleeing from fire, divorce, and depression, seeking distraction in romance and art.
For more information about the book, and to pre-order, (book will be officially released October 1rst), here is Gold Wake’s website:
TOUR DATES AND LOCATIONS
are still solidifying, but for now, here are the events that have already been booked and the towns that I will be passing through, between late September and the first half of October. Keep your eyes peeled for my announcements, and if you live in one of the following towns, come out to hear me read and buy a book. Also, if you have suggestions for venues for the dates later in my tour (East Coast, mostly), reach out!
- Sept 29th, Fort Collins, Colorado, Reading and musical events at Wolverine Press Publick House, 7:30
- October 1rst at 6pm at Trident Booksellers & Cafe in Boulder, Colorado
- October 5th at 6:30 pm, reading at Beaverdale Books with Paul Brooke in Des Moines, Iowa
- Oct. 14th I will be reading from and selling my books at the Book Fair as part of the Iowa City Book Festival, downtown on the Ped Mall in Iowa City, 10am-4pm
- Oct 15th at the Iowa City Book Festival, I will be reading as part of the Day in the City of Literature on Sunday. Reading at Daydreams Comics with graphic novelist John Ira Thomas.
- Oct 16, Reading at 6-7pm at Volumes Bookcafe in Chicago, IL
- Oct 17, Reading time/place to be determined Philadelphia, PA
- Oct 17, Reading time/place to be determined in Ohio
- Oct 18, Reading time/place to be determined New York, NY
- Oct 19, Reading time/place to be determined New Haven, CT
- Oct 20, Reading time/place to be determined Amherst, MA
- Book release at either New City Galerie or The Hive (or both!) in late November in Burlington, VT
- November 19th, tune into Vermont Bon Mot radio program: live broadcast on WGDR 91.1 FM on Sunday evening from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Bon Mot streams world-wide on WGDR.ORG and is archived for two weeks of on-demand listening enjoyment. http://www.crowmilk.org/bonmot/
- November 20th, catch my reading at the LIT CLUB at the LAMP SHOP, at 7pm in Burlington. See their Facebook page for information, https://www.facebook.com/lovepoetrylovelamps12N0W00SKI810/
Leave a Reply